Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Seuss-tastic Activities (Part 2)

I'm loving everyone's awesome Dr. Seuss activities! I'm already looking forward to next year to try out everyone's ideas! Here are a few of the activities that will round out my week. Hope you find them useful!

Activity #1: There's a Wocket in my Pocket! Pockets!



This is one of those super easy and versatile activities! I made pockets out of paper and laminated them so they'd last longer than one session. Then, I got out my trusty flashcards and filled each pocket with a few flashcards related to each student's goals. Next, we started reading the book. When we found a "crazy word" (which conveniently, occurred on every page!), the student who was the first to hold up their pocket and yell "crazy word, crazy word" got to pull out their cards and go through their flashcards!

Activity #2: One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish Same and Different



I have a lot of students who are working on same and different, so this activity has already gotten a good workout this week! I made fish bowls out of construction paper and glued pictures of items to be compared and contrasted onto the fish bowls and wa-la! Easy peasy same and different activity!

Activity #3: Put Me in the Zoo Game



My students seem to like any activity that seems remotely like a game, so that's exactly what this last activity is! My friend's very artistic son drew four different pictures of the character from Put Me in the Zoo and I cut out circles with numbers 2-6 as well as plus and minus signs. Instant game! Here's how it works: Students take turns selecting dots and saying their word (in any position and at any level) as many times as the number on their dot. If they get a plus, they draw another dot and a minus means they have to put one dot back. The student with the most dots collected on their zoo character wins!

I hope you are having an awesome Dr. Seuss celebration week! If you found these activities useful and would like to stay up to date with all of my activities, please "like" my facebook page that you can find here! Also, if you are looking for additional activities, please check out my TpT store here!

As always, thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Cute, I'm loving these Dr. Seuss-inspired activities! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice ideas. I have also done the pocket idea, but I've actually cut our back pockets from old jeans to use. The students really like the different format/texture.

    ReplyDelete