Great Ideas for Teaching is at it again! They have three new materials that I'll be sharing my review of over the next few days. First up, is Language Stimulation Activities!
This material can be used to "provide structured, repetitious activities that will assist students in fully learning very important language terms...". It is intended for children in preK through 2nd grade.
Each concept pair includes two student worksheets and two instructor worksheets. The student sheet includes four pictures - two to demonstrate each concept. The pages below show the concepts of hot and cold.
The instructor's sheet for the first worksheet includes questions and directions such as:
- "Is ice cream hot or cold?"
- "Point to a picture that shows cold weather."
- "Are frozen things hot or cold?"
- "If the hot sun shines on a snowman, what will happen to it?"
- "When it snows, is the weather hot or cold?"
- "Is the word chilly more like hot or cold?"
- "On a cold day, does a coat keep you warm or cold?"
In all, there are 20 questions on this first instructor worksheet that can be used and/or tailored to the individual needs of students.
The second student worksheet includes six concept pairs.
According to the instructor's worksheet, students must circle, underline, or mark the picture in another way to appropriately follow the directions that are given. Additional questions are asked as well, such as "Circle the one that has flames. Is it hot or cold?"
What I love about this material:
- It targets lots of different concepts - hot/cold, happy/sad, wet/dry, new/old, open/closed, inside/outside, front/back, high/low, top/bottom, through/around, big/little, long/short, narrow/wide, fast/slow, push/pull - to name just a few!
- It provides tons of practice with the same concept. Often, I feel as though students with language impairments don't receive enough exposure to targeted goals. In this case, students can repeatedly work on the same concept area.
- The pictures represent the concept they are portraying very well, so as not to confuse young children.
You can find this awesome material to target concept acquisition in a variety of ways for $29.50 HERE!
Disclaimer: This item was given to me for review. No other compensation was provided. The opinions expressed here are solely my own.