How the program works:
5-Minute Therapy was developed by a retired SLP, Sue Sexton, to help children who demonstrate speech sound errors. The intentions of this program are to limit the time spent outside of the classroom, while simultaneously maximizing the quality of time that students spend working on their sounds. Using this program, the student receives individualized therapy sessions that are 5-7 minutes in length, 2-4 times per week. Students repeat words, name pictures, read, and participate in conversation while utilizing this program.
This first book includes:
- information and implementation sheets where users can find background information, ways to use the program, and instructional materials needed,
- pictures for testing that correspond with the baseline testing form mentioned above,
- sentences for testing that also correspond with the baseline testing form mentioned above,
- data sheets to record information,
- lesson plans to keep organized for future sessions as well as homework sheets to log homework assigned,
- and attendance calendars to keep track of each session's attendance.
Now for the actual targeted sounds!
This program targets the following sounds:
- "sh" and "ch"
- /k/ and /g/
- /f/, /v/, and "th"
Each program is available for $18.00 each or all 6 are available for $99.00.
* The /k/ and /g/ book that I will be discussing includes both activities for /k/ and /g/ sounds, but I will be highlighting the /k/ sound in the following review. All of the /k/ activities are also included as /g/ activities too.
This book includes:
- one syllable initial, medial, and final /k/ words, as well as initial /k/ multi-syllabic words,
- initial, medial, and final /k/ phrases,
- initial, medial, and final /k/ sentences,
- a word bank for one syllable initial, medial, and final /k/ words, as well as initial /k/ multi-syllabic words,
- a reading list for one syllable initial, medial, and final /k/ words, as well as initial /k/ multi-syllabic words, /k/ phrases in all positions, as well as /k/ sentences in all positions,
- 9 games for therapy that can be used with any sound and in any position,
- envelope games, created to elicit a large number or repetitions in a short amount of time that can also be adapted to target any sound in any position,
- and various homework activities.
What I love about this program:
- It offers everything that you could need to implement intensive articulation therapy sessions to increase correct production of speech sounds.
- It is very comprehensive and offers materials for sounds in all positions, as well as at various positions of the development hierarchy (e.g. words, phrases, sentences, etc)
- The baseline testing offers the ability to test all of the sounds included in this program and provides an SLP with an excellent understanding of the child's current skills.
- Changing my service delivery model framework! Although I'm not used to providing therapy with this model, it is definitely a way to provide services that I feel would be beneficial to a student since repetition and maximal exposures are often key to success with speech sound remediation.
If you'd like to learn more about the 5-Minute Therapy program, you can visit the website.
To order materials, you can check out the order form portion of the site.
Disclaimer: These products were given to me for review. No other compensation was provided. The opinions shared here are solely my own.